1. Iron. Kale is iron packed with more per calorie than beef
2. Calcium. Kale contains more calcium per calorie than milk and is more easily absorbed into the body than dairy. One cup of kale provides over 88% of our RDA.
3. Fiber. Fiber is a macronutrient, meaning we need it every day yet most of us do not get enough of it. One serving of kale not only contains 5 percent of the recommended daily intake of fiber, but it also provides 2 grams of protein.
4. Omega fatty acids. A serving of kale contains 121 mg of omega-3 fatty acids and 92.4 mg of omega-6 fatty acids. One cup of kale provides about 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids that helps regulate the body’s inflammatory process.
5. Vitamin K. Kale provides a huge dose of vitamin K (providing 1327% of the RDA in one cup), which is necessary for the synthesis of a protein that strengthens the composition of our bones. Vitamin K also prevents calcium build-up in our tissue that can lead to atherosclerosis, cardiovascular disease and stroke. Vitamin K is also essential for synthesizing a fat needed to maintain the myelin sheath around our nerves, and therefore our nervous system as a whole.
6. Vitamin A. With over 192% of the RDA of vitamin A, one cup of kale is an effective antioxidant, boosts immunity, maintains healthy bones and teeth, prevents urinary stones, and is essential to our reproductive organs
7. Vitamin C. With over 200% of the RDA of vitamin C, one cup of Kale help boosting the immune system and then helping prevents cold.
A nice way to eat it and it makes an excellent snack that all my family enjoy: Kale chips
• 1 bunch kale
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a non insulated cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. With a knife or kitchen shears carefully remove the leaves from the thick stems and tear into bite size pieces. Wash and thoroughly dry kale with a salad spinner. Drizzle kale with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning salt.
3. Bake until the edges brown but are not burnt, 10 to 15 minutes.